BPC SurveyManager - Client Overview
- 1 Survey Manager Quick Start Guide
- 2 Advanced Survey functions - Using Advanced Login
- 3 BackLinks
Survey Manager Quick Start Guide
SurveyManager is an application that enables an organisation to collect information from a large number of users by distributing on-line surveys. SurveyManager is used to define surveys with assigned questions and an assigned list of respondents. An e-mail message is sent to survey respondents requesting they complete the survey with a link to the on-line survey. Reminder messages can be sent to late respondents. Respondents complete the survey on-line and the responses are reported by SurveyManager. Surveys can be setup to run periodically.
The following quick start instructions have been provided to assist new users get their survey site up and running quickly. It provides a step by step guide to performing basic Survey Manager functions. Please refer to the install instructions for help on installation and setting up the software before using this guide.
Survey Wizard - Using Quick Survey Login
BPC RiskManager contains a simplified BPC SurveyManager Wizard for creating, managing and reporting on surveys in the context of the BPC RiskManager application needs. In this section we provide a brief overview of the key functions and steps to using the wizard.
Create or Edit a Survey
In the Survey Centre:
- Select an existing survey or create a new survey.
When the survey wixard opens:
- if creating a new survey:
- Enter a survey name.
- Enter default number of questions per page
- Enter the number of reminders to send.
- For new surveys enter publication site for web server. EG: http://<your sub domain>.acumenalliance.com.au/staffsurvey/SurveyManager1.dll
- Enter owner’s name and email address.
- Remember to Post changes to save your survey.
There are a very large number of special purpose tags available for the survey layout. Clicking on the survey layout button will bring up the survey layout screen. If you want something other than the standard layout and appearance refer to here for details of the layout tags.
Surveys also have properties that can be referenced by tags and control aspects of the survey's behaviour. Clicking on the property button will bring up the survey properties screen. Refer here for more information on available properties. While editing properties, double clicking on the appropriate cell in the grid will bring up a list of the properties and the appropriate value options for the specific cell from which you can select.
Create or Edit Reminders
Reminders (also called invitations) are emails that are sent to survey respondents who have not started their survey. The number of reminders was specified on the first page. Each reminder is sent in turn to the repondents until the last available reminder has been sent. Thereafter the last reminder is sent each time you request that invitations be dispatched.
- Enter the survey reminder text.
- If there is more than one reminder you may want to include the number in the text. EG: This is your second reminder. Please complete survey…
- Reminders support SMHTML tags that will automatically insert things like the survey name, a clickable link and survey owner, etc. Refer to the here for a list of available tags and their meanings. Tags are inserted directly into the text of the email and replaced when the emailer dispatches the invitation.
Create or Edit Responses
Responses are used to define response groups used by survey questions. Response groups can be defined once and reused on many questions and on many surveys. A typical use is for a selection list or radio button group. EG: Select from: I Agree, I Disagree, Unsure.
- Select the type of response (not all type support response groups)
- Dates: enter a range name (response group identifier) and from date and/or to date values.
- Numbers: enter a rating name (response group identifier); select the Integer check box to enforce entry of integer numbers only, enter a rate from and rate to and size in characters.
- Selections, enter:
- OpGroupID (response group identifier);
- OpDisplayStr (value to display on form);
- OpValStr (value to store in database when selected) and
- OpVal (sort value for sorting selections).
- To create selection groups enter each selection option as a separate record with the same OpGroupID value.
Create or Edit Questions
Surveys are made up of questions. We call every line in the survey a question - even if it is just a heading.
- You can import questions from the question pool by clicking import. This function allows you to re-use questions you have already defined.
- Select the AutoNumber check box to turn on automatic numbering of questions. Each question requires a unique QID (question identifier) and this function will automatically allocate a QID to new questions. The number mask is displayed next to it. The default mask is the survey name + Q + a three digit incrementing number.
- Question fields:
- QID: Unique question identifier. The questions on a survey form appear in order of QID.
- QuesdDisplayID: Question display id used for question number or a reference number.
- Question: Question text appearing on survey form
- LayoutHTML: Advanced layout property. This field is optional and will default from the question layout html field value assigned at the survey level. The value at the survey level defaults from a system configuration value.
- Input: Use ‘selectop’ to define a form field to collect user information or ‘infoop’ to define a survey section break to display section header information.
- DisplayType: If field input type is set to ‘infoop’ then select label. For ‘selectop’ select ‘button’ for a button control, select ‘checkbox’ for a check box control (user can check 0, 1 or many boxes), select ‘droplist’ for a drop down list control, select ‘radio’ for a radio group control (can select only one from list).
- OpGroupID: Use the pop-up form to select a response group. This field is optional. The group selected will be used in assigning the contents of radio button controls, the list appearing in drop down list and the names beside each checkbox control. The group selected can be edited from the Response Options tab beside the question data grid.
- Assign rules: select the Rules tab. The survey form can perform different actions dependent upon the response to a question. The test field contains the expression to evaluate. The ‘Do if true’ and ‘Do if false’ fields store the action to perform.
Assign Instances to the Survey
Surveys need to be assigned instances in order to be published. Instances are arranged in groups. You can create groups, create instances for a group and assign instance(s) to a survey.
- Default group: The default group enables you to publish a survey and not need to add each survey instance manually.
- ‘Filter by Group’ will filter the list of instances by the group selected.
- Create instances (with ‘Row Select’ unchecked) and assign InstanceID (unique instance identifier for group), Description (for descriptive purposes), InGroup (for group membership) and GrpSelector (unique identifier for all instances, order is important for assigning survey responses EG: value assigned for Jan 04 must sort before Feb 04).
- Select instance(s) (with ‘Row Select’ checked) by selecting instances from grid (grid supports multiple selections by holding down the control key) and click on ‘Insert Selected Instances’.
- Edit assigned instances: Field Locked will lock an instance and survey respondents will not be able to modify these surveys, FromDate and ToDate are used to assign the survey response to the correct instance. EG: Surveys completed on 5th Jan 04 will be assigned to Jan 04 instance if instance has date range 1/1/04 to 31/1/04.
Publish the survey to People
Surveys need to be assigned to people in order to distribute survey.
- Publish to people: Select person(s) (grid supports multiple selections by holding down the control key) and click ‘Publish to Selected People’.
- Send survey reminders: Click ‘Send Next Reminder Now’ to send notification email messages.
- Edit properties of people selected: ‘Remove’ will delete assigned user, ‘Lock’/’Unlock’ will lock/unlock a from accessing the survey, ‘Reset Rmdr’ will reset the reminder count and the next send survey reminders process will send the first reminder.
Preview the Survey
Preview the survey form.
- Refresh: Close and re-open survey form
- Preview PID: Select user to impersonate when previewing survey form.
Advanced Survey functions - Using Advanced Login
Create Survey Respondents
Insert record to the People list: Assign unique PID, enter your name, a valid e-mail address and OrgRole='Admin' or ‘User’.
Assign Respondents to Organisation(s)
· Set radio button to 'Select mode'. Highlight username and organisation from data grids.
· Drag and drop OrgID to 'Is a member of the following Organisations' data grid.
Publish Survey to Web Server
· Select the survey you want to publish (using the wizard)
Enter publishing server name. EG: http://yoursubdomain.bishopphillips.com.au/staffsurvey/SurveyManager1.dll
· On the Communications Centre tab enter your PID (for person) and OrgID (for organisation).
· Hit ‘Connect’.
· Send & Retrieve data by clicking on all buttons below
Perform Reporting & Analysis
· Use the Edit Reports tab to select a stored report or add a new report. Reports are assigned to a survey, have an identifying RepID and contain command script (sql statement).
· Use the Preview tab to run the current query and retrieve results.