story.numberOfKills = 0; story.amountOfMoney = 0; story.gotCaecMessage = false; story.metPickpocket = false; story.defeatedPickpocket = false; story.gotPeacock = false; story.levelDrunkeness = 0; story.tabernaDrinkCount = 0; story.numberOfHits = 0; story.Health = 10; story.netFightStep = 0; story.netFightJab = false; story.netFightNet = false; story.netFightNetCut = false; story.netFightParry = false; story.netFightSidestep= false; story.netFightLunge = false; story.FightWon= false; story.FightLost= false; story.maybeDrunkAlert = function () { if (story.levelDrunkeness > 5) { var randomNumber = Math.floor((Math.random()*5)); if (randomNumber === 0) { story.showParagraph('drunkAlert'); } } }; story.getAllInventory = function () { story.putInInventory('KitchenPot'); story.putInInventory('KitchenWine'); story.putInInventory('Denarii'); story.putInInventory('Knife'); story.amountOfMoney = 125; }; if (story.levelDrunkeness > 10) { story.turnTo('theDrunkEnd'); } if (story.levelDrunkeness > 5) { var randomNumber = Math.floor((Math.random()*5)); if (randomNumber === 0) { story.showParagraph('drunkAlert'); } } // story.maybeDrunkAlert(); {{? (story.levelDrunkeness > 8) }}

You are feeling a very drunk. You really should lay off the cheap wine. Now what was it you were meant to be getting? Oh, that's right..another drink!

{{??}}

You are feeling a little drunk. Perhaps you should lay off the cheap wine for a while.

{{?}}
Grumio Goes To The Pantry To Get A Peacock Its a pot for cooking. Could do with a bit more of a clean. !story.isInInventory('KitchenPot') OK. What are you going to do with a dirty pot? {{ story.putInInventory('KitchenPot'); }} story.isInInventory('KitchenPot') OK. Too good for a dirty pot are we? {{ story.removeFromInventory('KitchenPot'); }} Its a small shiny knife. Could do with a bit more of a clean. !story.isInInventory('Knife') Yeah, Why not pick up the shiny knife. {{ story.putInInventory('Knife'); }} story.isInInventory('Knife') OK. Sure, knives are scary, better just drop it here so some little kid can find it. {{ story.removeFromInventory('Knife'); }} story.isInInventory('Knife') You pry at the latch with the knife and the gate springs open. There beckoning you is freedom at last. You poke the bird with the knife with the expected outcome. Now you have a dirty knife and a dead bird. See? This, right there, is why you can't have nice things! You try, and try again, but without any appreciable result. Its a locked farm gate, but the latch looks like it could be lifted off with something long and thin. story.isInInventory('Knife') You pry at the latch with your knife and the gate springs open. There beckoning you is freedom at last. !story.isInInventory('Knife') Its locked farm gate, but the latch won't budge. You scratch at it with your fingers in desperation, but still it won't move. There are rocks plunging around you. The peacock explodes into a mess of bone a blood beside you as a rock strikes it. Maybe just one more tweak will open it. Its ancient roman coins in a purse. Just enough for a peacock. !story.isInInventory('money') You take the purse. {{ story.putInInventory('money'); story.amountOfMoney = 125; }} story.isInInventory('money') {{ story.removeFromInventory('money'); story.amountOfMoney = 0; }} You dropped the purse. Oops. story.isInInventory('money') You return the denarii to Caecilius, who thanks you. {{ story.removeFromInventory('money'); }} You give all the denarii to the Pickpocket, who sneeringly thanks you. {{ story.removeFromInventory('money'); }} {{? (story.amountOfMoney > 30) }} You pay the barman 30 denarii, who thanks you. {{ story.amountOfMoney = story.amountOfMoney - 30; }} {{??}} Oops. You have no money left. {{?}} You try, and try again, but without any appreciable result. Its a half drunk bottle of cheap wine meant for cooking. Looks a bit doubtful. It has a bouquet of vinegar, toe fungus and oak. !story.isInInventory('KitchenWine') You take the wine and slip it under your toga. Your funeral. {{ story.putInInventory('KitchenWine'); }} story.isInInventory('KitchenWine') You discretely drop the devils potion. Probably a wise decision. {{ story.removeFromInventory('KitchenWine'); }} You bravely take a swig of the wine, it tastes like vinegar and has a kick like a mule. You feel the top of your head lift off, and your face spasms into an uncontrollable snarl. {{ story.levelDrunkeness = story.levelDrunkeness + 1; }} Its a lovely plump peacock. Just right for the pot. !story.isInInventory('Peacock') You take the peacock and stuff it into your toga. {{ story.putInInventory('Peacock'); }} story.isInInventory('Peacock') You drop the peacock. {{ story.removeFromInventory('Peacock'); }} story.isInInventory('Peacock') You give Caecilius the Peacock, who looks at you like you are an idiot. "Aren't they mean to kind of brown and cooked?" He asks. {{ story.removeFromInventory('Peacock'); }} You give him the Peacock, who sneeringly thanks you. {{ story.removeFromInventory('Peacock'); }} You put the Peacock in the pot. {{ story.removeFromInventory('Peacock'); }} You try, and try again, but without any appreciable result.

Grumio! I am going to the forum to work. Cook one of your splendid cena's by the time I get back. I am thinking roasted peacock might be just the thing. I expect to have a guest. Here are some denarii to get whatever you need.

Bye. I need to run. Don't spend it at the taberna.

{{ story.gotCaecMessage=true; }}
story.isInInventory('KitchenPot')

Caecilius looks at you with his typical dull expression:

What.. hic.. youuu meeeean...? Hic!

Grumio! Caecilius wanted you to prepare a roasted peacock for cena. He asked me to give you some denarii so you could buy one at the forum.

Don't spend it at the taberna, now will you?

{{ story.gotCaecMessage=true; }}
story.isInInventory('KitchenPot')

Metella looks at you with shocked surprise:

What !?!..It will be off to the farm with you!

(story.isInInventory('money') && (story.amountOfMoney > 124))

"Right.", says the butcher and unhooks the bird from the rack behind him. "That's my last one for the day. Seems everyone wants peacock today. That will be 125 denarii for you.".

Don't lose it on the way home, now will you?

You leave the store happy with your purchase. As you turn you notice Shrumio giving you a filthy look. You decide to take a short cut out of the market.

{{ story.amountOfMoney = story.amountOfMoney - 125; if(story.amountOfMoney < 1 ) story.removeFromInventory('money'); story.putInInventory('Peacock'); }}
(!story.isInInventory('money') || (story.amountOfMoney < 125))

"Right.", says the butcher. "That's my last one for the day. Seems everyone wants peacock today so you are out of luck. Next!".

You turn away dejected. Things are going to get a lot worse.

story.isInInventory('KitchenPot')

The butcher looks at you with shocked surprise:

"What !?!..It will be off to the farm with you! Guards! This one here just tried to rob me!"

Two burly guards appear beside you, as Shrumio pushes past saying "Peacock, please"

The last thing you remember is your head exploding as one of the guards cuffs you with his metal clad arm and you crumple to the floor.

(story.isInInventory('money') && (story.amountOfMoney > 30)) {{? (story.tabernaDrinkCount==0) }}

"That'll be 30 denarii thanks." As you pass across the money, the barman slams down a tankard of wine on the bar top spilling a little on the bar.

{{??}} {{? (story.tabernaDrinkCount==1) }}

You hand him another 30 denarii. The barman spins the amphora on its tail, flips it in the air and pours a stream of the turgid red liquid into your tankard.

{{??}} {{? (story.tabernaDrinkCount==2) }}

You push 30 denarii across the bar. The barman tosses the amphora of wine from one hand to another, twirls it on a finger then catches it and pours the wine into your tankard in one smooth motion.

He says: "You might want to slow down a bit there Grumio, this stuff is chariot fuel on a hot day."

You look at him blearily: "Wash you feen? You thayim 'mdrunt?"

The barman seems to hesitate. You never noticed before how big his nose was. You are just about to point that out when he says. "Why in Jupiter's name would I want to wash my feet?"

You think: "Some people say the strangest things."

{{??}} You drop 30 denarii somewhere on the bar. The barman silently pours the wine into your tankard, shaking his head. {{?}} {{?}} {{?}}

You down the drink in one enormous gulp, but strangely you are still thirsty.

{{ story.levelDrunkeness = story.levelDrunkeness + 3; story.tabernaDrinkCount++; story.amountOfMoney = story.amountOfMoney - 30; }} {{? (story.amountOfMoney < 30) }}

You notice that you have used up all your money. Oops. You forgot about the peacock. Master will not be pleased. You wonder if you can boil up some cabbage and convince him that it is a new kind of peacock.

{{?}}
story.isInInventory('KitchenPot')

Metella looks at you with shocked surprise:

What !?!..It will be off to the farm with you!

Nuffin, just yer {{? (story.isInInventory('money')) }} denarii. {{??}} denarii. {{?}} Gimme! You toffee pestis.

(!story.isInInventory('KitchenPot')) && (!story.isInInventory('money')) You strike him with your fist, and quick as a flash a knife emerges from his robes and is wedged between your ribs. You look down in surprise. You are dead. Master is going to be very upset about missing out on his peacock cena.

You lost.

{{ story.endGame(); }}
story.isInInventory('KitchenPot') {{? (story.numberOfHits == 0) }}

You hit the scoundrel with your dirty pot.

The pickpocket looks at you with shocked surprise:

What !?!..Ow, That hurt!

You might need to wallop him again!

{{??}}

The pickpocket buckles at the knees and looks at you with immense pain and stumbles and flees away.

As he flees you notice something shiny fall to the ground.

To the north is Caecilius's house, to the south is the street leading to the market.

{{story.disable("PickPocketInteract");}} {{story.defeatedPickpocket = true;}} {{?}} {{story.numberOfHits++;}}
story.isInInventory('KitchenPot') You attack the guards with you kitchen pot. One falls to the ground, but the other draws his sword and places it firmly into you stomach. As your strength is failing you you try to strike him again. story.isInInventory('Knife') You attack the guards with you knife. One falls to the ground, but the other draws his sword and places it firmly into you stomach. As your strength is failing you you try to strike out at him. You decide against attacking the armed guards. A wise decision.

You quicken your pace and slide into the group of slaves following the gladiators carrying banners advertising the circus for that afternoon.

The guards are following you. Perhaps they haven't noticed you yet, but just to be sure you stay with the procession as it marches into the vomitorium of the arena.

"I'm not meant to be here, I am meant to be cooking a peacock for my master," you declare.

"Yeah? And I am meant to be the Emperor of Rome, but here we are. Your doomed to spend eternity in an urn and I have to send you lot off to be slaughtered for the crowd's amusement by real gladiators. Life's a bowl faex. Vescere bracis meis! Now what will it be retiarius or secutor.

You choose to be a heavily armed gladiator and the guard dumps dumps a pile of armour and weapons at your feet. He calls over another slave and tells him to help you suit up.

After a while you are fully assembled in your armour and shield at which point another guard roughly pushes you towards a barred gate that looks out onto the arena.

You choose to be a net fighter and the guard dumps dumps a pile of equipment and weapons at your feet. In addition to a shoulder guard and loin cloth, you are given a short dagger, a trident about half again as high as you and a weighted circular net. He calls over another slave and tells him to help you suit up.

After a while you are fully assembled in your loin cloth and shoulder guard with the net tied by a string to your left arm with the dagger stuffed into a clip on your left arm and the trident in your right hand. Another guard roughly pushes you towards a barred gate that looks out onto the arena.

(story.netFightSidestep && !story.netFightNet && !story.FightWon) You cast your net over the secutor. It is a graceful cast from years of net fishing as a youth. The secutor is instantly tangled in it and you tug the leash to tangle him further and bring him down to the ground. {{story.netFightNet=true;}} (!story.netFightNet && !story.FightWon) You jab with the trident but the secutor parries it with ease. {{story.netFightJab=true;}} (!story.netFightNet && !story.FightWon) As the secutor closes with his shield up and lunges with his sword. you successfully block it with the pole of your trident. {{story.netFightParry=true;}} (story.netFightNetCut && !story.FightWon) You lunge with your trident and catch the secutor between the breast plate and helmet, straight through his neck. He collapses flat to the arena floor dead. The crowd cheers and you bow and run to the gladiator's gate with the other victorious fighters, it being the only one open.. {{story.netFightLunge=true; story.FightWon=true; }} (!story.FightWon) You gracefully sidestep a blow from the secutor, causing him to lose his balance momentarily. {{story.netFightSidestep=true;}} (!story.FightWon) You run at the secutor like a berserka. He steps back, parries your lunge with his shield and plants his sword into your unprotected ribs. Ooops. You grasp the sword hilt. (story.netFightNet && !story.netFightNetCut &&!story.FightWon) You draw your knife and cut the leash binding the net to your arm. The secutor tumbles down as the tension is released. {{story.netFightNetCut=true;}} (story.FightWon) The crowd cheers and you bow and run to the gladiator's gate with the other victorious fighters, it being the only one open.. (!story.netFightNet && !story.FightLost) You jab with the sword but the retiarius parries it with ease. {{story.netFightJab=true;}} (!story.netFightNet && !story.FightLost) As the retiarius closes with his trident up and lunges with his trident. You successfully block it with your shield. {{story.netFightParry=true;}} (!story.FightLost) You lunge with your sword and miss. The retiarius casts his net as you pass, entangling you. Before you know what has happened you are on the floor with trident pressing you between the breast plate and helmet, straight at you neck. The crowd cheers and you grasp at the trident's pole.. {{story.netFightLunge=true; story.FightLost=true; }} (!story.FightLost) You gracefully sidestep a lunge from the retiarius, causing him to lose his balance momentarily. {{story.netFightSidestep=true;}} (!story.FightLost) You run at the retiarius like a berserka. He steps sideways, entangling your feet in his net, parries your lunge with his arm guard and plants his trident into your unprotected neck. Ooops. You grasp the trident hilt. {{ story.FightLost=true; }} (story.FightLost) {{ story.turnTo('theDeadEnd'); }}

Introduction

You (Grumio) are a cook working for Caecilius, a famous banker in Pompeii, Roman Empire. You are going to go on an adventure through Pompeii. You play by reading the text and clicking on the underlined links which will show you either a menu of choices or additional information. As you collect things they will be added to your inventory. Choose wisely, you never know what you will need.

You are cleaning pots in the kitchen from behind the counter....

The Kitchen

There is a counter surrounding the entry on the northern wall almost entirely, with a gap to travel from the counter to outside the kitchen. {{? !story.gotCaecMessage }} You hear footsteps. {{??}} There is a pantry on the western wall. {{?}} There are footsteps from outside which sound like Caecilius's. They are coming towards you. Perhaps you should see what he wants. Its just your typical ancient Roman kitchen counter with pots, a half drunk bottle of wine and stuff. What did you expect?

The Pantry

You look in the pantry but there is no peacock. {{? !story.gotPeacock }} You will need to go to the market to get one. {{?}}

The Peristylium

{{? !story.gotCaecMessage }} You bump into Caecilius as you enter the peristylium. He has a message for you. {{??}} {{? !story.isInInventory('money') }} Metella is sitting on a bench in the garden courtyard. She calls to you: "Oh, Grumio..." {{??}} The garden courtyard is empty. {{?}} {{?}}

To the south there is a doorway. The room is a splendid central courtyard garden surrounded by doorways. There is an exit to the atrium on the western side.

The garden is laid out with flowers and shrubs all carefully arranged around a small central fish pond in which a small fountain throws up a jet of water. Dotted around the garden are several expensive statues of gods and heroes.

The Atrium

{{? !story.gotCaecMessage }} You bump into Caecilius as you enter the atrium. He has a message for you. {{??}} The atrium is empty. {{?}}

To the east there is a passageway. The room is a large attractively decorated atrium with a filled impluvium at its centre surrounded by expensive marble paving stones and splendid red, orange and blue frescoes on the walls depicting various scenes from Greek myths and curtained doorways to the neighbouring rooms on either side.

There is a lararium in its south western corner that looks like it has recently been in use.

There is a fauces with a doorway to the street on the western side.

The Street

Its a typical roman street. Paved in stone. There are two shops behind you to the left and right. You see the road to the forum in the distance to the south.

The weather is fine, the street is busy and it is a beautiful summer day. Your spirits are immediately lifted.

Smiling you look around the street to see who is out and about this early.

Behind you is a doorway, to the south is the street leading to the forum.

Most of the citizens seem busily engaged in their own affairs. You notice one shady looking character taking a particular interest in you from behind the well. Oh well, there are always some ne'er-do-wells out and about.

The Central Baths

You have passed an intersecting street. As there is still a little water in the street you use the crossing stones to keep your toga dry. You are passing the central baths. To the east is the almost completed structure. You notice that the construction is proceeding well. The baths should be open to the public soon at the rate they are proceeding.

On the western side of the street are houses.

To the north is Caecilius's house, to the south is the {{? (story.isInInventory('Knife')) }} street {{??}} street {{?}} leading to the market.

{{? (!story.defeatedPickpocket) }}

Looking around with more attention, you notice the shady character from outside Caecilius's house

{{?}} There is a row of smaller houses with front doors interspersed with little shops. You notice your friend Felix's house.
{{? (story.isInInventory('Knife')) }} {{ story.turnTo('f_street');}} {{??}} {{? (story.defeatedPickpocket) }}

On the street

You notice something shiny on the path where you met the pickpocket.

To the north is Caecilius's house, to the south is the street leading to the market.

{{??}}

The Pick Pocket

{{ story.metPickpocket = true; story.defeatedPickpocket = false; }} You feel something ruffling your clothes. You turn and confront an evil looking character.

To the north is Caecilius's house.

{{?}} {{?}} It is a small knife. The pickpocket must have dropped it.

The Forum Street

Its a typical roman street. Paved in stone. You see the forum with the market before it to the west.

The weather is fine, the street is busy and it is a very hot, summer day. Your spirits are tired but life is good.

Smiling (but a little tired) you look around the street to see who is out and about.

To the north are the baths and to the west is the market on the way to the forum.

There is a taberna that looks tempting. It is a very hot day and you are feeling a bit stressed. Perhaps a refreshing ale might steel your resolve?

The Taberna

{{ story.tabernaDrinkCount=0; }} It's cool and refreshing in the taberna. It is filled with good Pompeian citizens taking a refreshing break from the heat of the day, laughing and slurily singing bawdy songs. You smile at familiar faces and sidle up to the bar. Behind the bar the barman smiles happily and turns inquisitively to you: "Greetings Grumio. What will it be?"

To the south there is an open doorway leading back into the street.

{{story.disable("t_lookparalink");}} It is a small well frequented taberna. There are many patrons who look like they are here to stay for a while. The place smells strongly of spilt wine and urine and the floor tiles have an odd stickiness to them. There is a small group seated at a table singing a bawdy song about a vestal virgin and a net fighter. At the bar beside you is an extremely drunk tax collector slumped over the counter.

You look around admiring the fresco's on the wall. For some reason the picture of the sacrifice of Iphigenia catches you eye and you contemplate it for a moment. It makes a change from the usual images of Bacchus and mercury that seem to plaster most of the walls of these places like graphitii.

The Market

Its a typical roman market, paved in stone. Selling a wide range of goods in temporary stalls arranged across the square as well as a number of more permanent stores around the edges.

On the western side of the market is the animal market where the butcher and live animal sellers are found. You look look around

To the east is the street leading to Caecilius's house and on the west animal market.

There is a fish store selling sword fish that looks tempting, but the master wanted a peacock.

The Animal Market

Its a typical roman animal market, paved in stone. The streets are filled with animals in cages. An escaped goose scampers in front of you chased by its distraught owner yelling various words of abuse at the disobedient animal. The animals seem unusually rowdy today. You haven't seen them this irritable before.

You look around for the butcher.

To the north east is the market entrance.

You see the butcher in the southern corner. "Hmmph". There is Shrumio, cook for Hermogenes. Well, cook is generous. Charlatan would be a better description. His moretum tastes like old boot leather. You wonder why he is here. He seems to be looking in the direction of the butcher shop too.

The Butcher

The butcher shop is busy, selling a wide variety of meat.

You look around for peacock and see only one. There is a lady at the counter talking with the butcher and Shrumio is beside you. He seems to be staring at the peacock.

You look around for the butcher.

The butcher finishes with the lady and turns to you. "What will it be?" he asks.

To the north is the animal market.

There are a wide variety of meats including birds, beef, and pork hanging from hooks behind the butcher. A counter with a cutting board, meat cleaver and scales stands between you and the butcher. A single peacock hangs from a rack of hooks behind him. You catch Shrumio eyeing you malevolently.

The Alleyway

The alleyway is empty. Hearing footsteps behind you, you glance back. He seems to be carrying a cooking pot. You nod at him and turn to continue your journey.

As you turn away Shrumio calls your name.

You stop and begin to turn..."Wump"... That is the last thing you remember as Shrumio hits you with a cooking pot and you crumple to the ground.

The Farm

{{ story.removeFromInventory('Peacock'); story.removeFromInventory('KitchenWine'); story.removeFromInventory('KitchenPot'); }} You awaken lieing on the ground, wet and smelling of animal feces. As you open your eyes you see a pair of sandals in front of your faces and a rough voice yelling: "Wake up slave!"

You sit up and look around. There is a large chap in front of you saying something to another farm hand about the animals.

The guards are talking with each other looking at the mountain in the north.

Its a typical roman farm, but paved in dirt. You are sitting on the ground with three other miserable souls. You realise you have been press-ganged into a farm labour gang. There are pigs in a pig-sty a little way off making a lot of noise, and a farm hand is struggling to lead a troop of horses that are wildly pulling in different directions across the yard in front of you. There are peacocks and geese scampering around blindly getting in the way of the horses adding to the general sense of chaos in the farmyard and three bullocks straining at some machinery with wide eyes and stamping feet. The chaos in the farmyard has the guards distracted you look for some means of escape.

The Farm

Across the ground to your left is a series of large earthenware vats three quarters sunk into the ground used for making wine with wine makers tending them, and in the distance on the hillside you can see sheep bleating loudly and giving their shepherd a merry chase.

There is a cart near the entrance with a pile of things - your things on it, but not the peacock for which you went shopping.

{{? story.isInInventory('Knife') }}

You touch the place where you hid your small knife and realise that they had missed it when they took the rest of your stuff. Good, that might come in handy later!

{{?}}

The angry mountain to the north seems unusually grumpy today, belching more smoke than usual. You silently agree with it.

All seems unusually chaotic. An idea occurs to you. You stand up and wander over to the pig sty where a slave is feeding the pigs.

The farm hand is pre-occupied with the pigs who seem frantic and not at all interested in their food. While he is yelling at them you quietly lift the latch on the sty gate.

Just then there is an enormous explosion that thunders across the valley and all eyes turn to stare at the big angry mountain in the north which is now billowing an enormous column of smoke into the air. mayhem descends onto the farmyard as all the animals simultaneously scream and run around in random directions. The pigs squeal loudly and burst through the unlatched gate, running straight for the horses which break free of farmhand and kick over the guards in their desperation to get away. A second later one of the farmhouses explodes as a large rock crashes out of the sky on it follow3d by a hale of smaller stones.

A number of the earthenware wine vats shatter and people and animals are running everywhere.

You realise no one is watching you and the path to the gate is clear.

The Angry Mountain

Several farmhands and animals are struck down by plunging rocks in the chaos but by some miracle you are spared the hale of rocks descending from the heavens, and make quickly for the gate to get away while everyone is distracted. As you are sneaking out you notice a peacock standing by the gate looking slightly confused.

At the farm gate you find it latched. You are trapped.

Some extra detail.

The Chase

You arrive back in Pompeii just as the parade for the circus is underway. The angry mountain has settled down again after its short fit and there is no obvious evidence of the mountain's temper tantrum in the city so perhaps it was just the Gods looking after you and dumping their wrath on the farm alone.

It seems you have escaped with a nice fresh peacock for dinner. You join the crowd watching and following the gladiators parading through the streets to the amphitheatre, when glancing behind you you notice some of the guards from the farm behind you.

They must have followed you. Strange that you didn't notice them on the road before.

You hesitate deciding what to do.

Some extra detail.

The Amphitheatre

The procession peels off with the gladiators going one way and the remaining slaves going another. With the farm guards still following, you have no choice but to stick with the slaves a bit longer as they enter a side room. As the last of the slaves enters the room the guards slam the doors shut behind you.

More guards enter and dump a bunch of fighting equipment on the benches surrounding the room. They tell you all to line up. One of the guards looks at you with a quizzical expression carrying your peacock:

"You ain't gonna need that anymore", he says.

"How do you wanna die? As a net fighter or in armour?" asks the guard as he roughly pulls the peacock out of your arms.

{{story.removeFromInventory('Peacock');}} Some extra detail.

The Gladiator

The gate opens and you and a group of other unfortunates are roughly shoved out onto the arena from behind. On the other side of the ground a group of very scary looking men in a mixture of armour and unarmoured configurations are striding into the centre of the arena looking like they do this everyday of their lives. The noise of the crowd is deafening. Mixed chants of various name you can't decipher, foot stomping, hand claps and what sounds distinctly like laughter as your group emerges stumbling onto the grounds.

You do your best to look like you know what you are doing as a retiarius strides over to stand opposite you.

You weigh the shield in your left hand, it feels like a lead weight, and you silently apologise to the Gods for your misspent youth. He looks like he expects an easy kill and it occurs to you that perhaps looking a little incompetent might give you some meagre advantage in this situation.

A horn blows and your opponent goes into a fighting crouch. You grasp the sword in your sweating hand and jab it towards him.

Some extra detail.

The Gladiator

The gate opens and you and a group of other unfortunates are roughly shoved out onto the arena from behind. On the other side of the ground a group of very scary looking men in a mixture of armour and unarmoured configurations are striding into the centre of the arena looking like they do this everyday of their lives. The noise of the crowd is deafening. Mixed chants of various name you can't decipher, foot stomping, hand claps and what sounds distinctly like laughter as your group emerges stumbling onto the grounds.

You do your best to look like you know what you are doing as a secutorii strides over to stand opposite you.

You weight the net in your left hand, it feels like a fishing net, and you silently thank the Gods for your youth spent fishing with a similar weighted net. He looks like he expects an easy kill and it occurs to you that perhaps looking a little incompetent might give you some meagre advantage in this situation.

A horn blows and your opponent goes into a fighting crouch. You grasp the trident in both hands and jab it towards him.

Some extra detail.

The Sports Ground

You are in luck today! Obviously the slaves were not expected to win, and none of the guards seem particularly interested in you as they are watching the fights still happening in the arena. You jog through the open gate, along a corridor, cast off your weapons and up some stairs and back into the vomitorium where you mingle with the crowd and emerge in the open air.

Without hesitating you cross the street and enter the empty sports ground, ducking behind a wall and catch your breath.

You look around.

There straight in front of you on the ground is a sight to behold.

The Template

Its a typical roman Template, paved in stone.

You look around. There is something and someone.

To the north is the GoBackLocation and GoForwardLocation in the south.

Some extra detail.

Dead

You have received too many injuries and have bled your vital precious bodily fluids all over the ground, where the dogs and street urchins can feast. You are feeling very broken. You do not deserve to have a mortal coyle and it has been taken from you because you have proven to be irresponsible and careless with your person.

You have passed away, gone before, kicked the bucket ... you are an ex-Grumio, you have been measured and found wanting, you are no more. You are dead.

You will have no road-side tomb where the living can pass you daily and greet you, and bring you offerings of food and wine, you will be thrown on a fire and forgotten, your ashes blown to the wind.

You lost.

{{ story.endGame(); }}

The Drunk

You have drunk too much. You are feeling very tired. Maybe just a little nap would stop your head from spinning.

Yes that's the thing... just a little nap right here, right now.

As you flop down on the ground a little voice in your head seems to say...
"You lost. It's the farm for you, Grumio."

You lost.

{{ story.endGame(); }}

The Pauper

You have spent too much or lost all the money you were given. You are a bad slave. Master is going to be very disappointed that you did not get him a peacock for his special guest.

Maybe a little spell at the farm will be what you need to teach you the error of your ways.

Bad, bad Grumio.

You lost.

{{ story.endGame(); }}

The Peacock

There right in front of you is a fine, healthy and plump peacock. You look around, no one seems to be looking. You swiftly grab the bird and stuff him into your toga.

Cena will be good tonight. Master will be pleased with Grumio.

You have won.

{{ story.endGame(); }}

The Page List

intro
CKitchenPage
c_peristylium
c_atrium
c_street
cb_street
shadyCharacter
f_street
taberna
market
AnimalMarket
ButcherShop
TheAlleyWay
TheFarm
TheFarm
Vesuvius
theChase
amphitheatre
combatsecutor
combatretiarius
sportground
thePoorEnd
theDeadEnd
theDrunkEnd
StoryEnd
InventoryList

The Inventory List

Get all Inventory
pots
bottle of wine
denarii
small knife
Peacock

Citations

  1. Anon, 1998, "Cambridge Latin Course Year 1", Cambridge University Press, Chapters 1 - 12
  2. Unkown, "Ancient Roman Kitchen Reconstructed", https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/107593878570870080
  3. Alarmy, "Roman Farm", https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-the-roman-empire-peasants-farming-and-plowing-the-fields-romans-farm-83349226.html
  4. Alarmy, "Roman Shepherds and Wine Makers", https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-the-roman-empire-shepherds-and-wine-makers-sellers-in-the-countryside-83349228.html
  5. HBO Series: Ancient Rome, "Roman Market", https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/570972058999011832/?nic=1a
  6. Freidrich von Gartner, 1848, Watercolour, "Atrium",https://act.art.queensu.ca/details.php?i=2392
  7. Reinhard Dietrich, 2007, "Pompeijanum, innen", https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pompejanum_01.jpg
  8. Movie: The Passion of Christ, 2004, "Barabas", https://www.hotflick.net/pictures/004POC_Pietro_Sarubbi_003.html
  9. Timothy Finch, Roman Butcher, http://imageweb-cdn.magnoliasoft.net/bridgeman/supersize/lal297370.jpg
  10. Giulio Aristide Sartorio, 1860, "Malaria", https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Giulio_Aristide_Sartorio_-_Malaria.jpg
  11. Nightwolf, 2017, "Drunk Roman Soldier",https://imgur.com/gallery/gjlVV
  12. HBO Series: Ancient Rome, "Roman Market", https://dvdbash.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/rome_hbo_dvd_polly_walker_kerry_condon_kevin_mckidd_ray_stevenson_james_purefoy_dvdbash038.jpg
  13. HBO Series: Ancient Rome, "Roman Market", https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/433049320399407603/?nic=1a
  14. "Frescoe pompeii italy the sacrifice_ipigenia in taurus", https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6a/8b/f5/6a8bf546f47c8ae17b667e6dcce3395f.jpg

Inventory